My name is Ruba Khan and this is my media blog in which I will be doing all my coursework on, homework and any tasks we may need to do. I am currently doing media studies as an AS level and hope to carry it on for A2. I enjoy this subject thoroughly and I would love to do something along the lines of this in the future. I enjoy filming and editing the most. I like to be creative and would like to think I am a creative person. I have a thirst to make things unique and exemplify them in my own way. However, the theory part of media is very interesting to see how things are created in the media industry (films, music videos, adverts, etc.). Also it is fascinating to see all the cast & crew, cameras and time that goes into making something tricky look so easy as we watch it.

Thursday 7 April 2011

The Grudge 2 Opening Sequence Analysis


The Grudge 2 was released in North America on October 13th 2006 as a sequel to the 2004 American horror film - The Grudge. The Grudge was a remake of a famous film called Ju-on, however, the sequel is not. It was pushed forward a week from the original October 20th release date. The film was released in the UK on October 20th and in Australia on October 26, 2006.
I will be analysing the opening sequence which is the first 2 minutes and 19 seconds. As it starts and they are showing who the creators are (columbia and ghost house pictures), there is daunting music in the background. This immediately gives the film a head start to its' genre. What I found most interesting, and wanted to do something like that for our opening sequence, was the way they edited 'columbia's' credits. They made the woman turn into the evil character in the film. They also turned the word 'columbia' into 'the grudge 2' changing the font to make it more spookier. They used a range of edits to enhance on the visibility of the genre, for example the flickering of the lights as the woman transforms into the grudge.
Once the film has begun, it starts off with a few slides, each saying something different. As it fades into the next slide, a word is kept at the end and turns red to emphasise on it, e.g curse.
The low angle shot of the flats, which showed bare tree's and all you could hear were crows. This made it have a very suspense and cautious atmosphere. The main character does not have any dialect - this helps to keep her character in suspense and make the audience want to watch on. The opening sequence ends with her casually drinking tea while her husband is suffering on the floor. This makes her seem quite psychotic, adding another element to which the audience would expect to see more of throughout the film


No comments:

Post a Comment