My name is Ruba Khan and this is my media blog in which I will be doing all my coursework on, homework and any tasks we may need to do. I am currently doing media studies as an AS level and hope to carry it on for A2. I enjoy this subject thoroughly and I would love to do something along the lines of this in the future. I enjoy filming and editing the most. I like to be creative and would like to think I am a creative person. I have a thirst to make things unique and exemplify them in my own way. However, the theory part of media is very interesting to see how things are created in the media industry (films, music videos, adverts, etc.). Also it is fascinating to see all the cast & crew, cameras and time that goes into making something tricky look so easy as we watch it.

Sunday 10 April 2011

Serendipity Opening Sequence Analysis


Serendipity is a 2001 romantic comedy starring John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale. This was mainly popular amongst adults due to its' intensity of romance. Also the romance element was between 2 adults which makes this less relatable for youngsters and teenagers.
It immediately begins with a jumpy, happy song whilst the credits are occurring and the setting is being introduced. The music is very classical which allows it to be aimed at the targeted audience - adults. The opening sequence seems to last for 4 minutes and 19 seconds which is longer than what I have seen so far compared to others. Since it is longer than usual, it comes back to the genre - romantic comedy. This is because, longer opening sequences allow the extract to move at a gradual pace, decreasing the tension level. A number of basic, simple camera shots are used. This is because, in movies with similar genre to this, it is mainly about what you see in the screen in order to know what is happening. Everything in the frame is essential. Whereas, in horrors, they have many shots where it is oblivious to who and what is in the frame. This happens to enhance on the suspense. As the credits finish and it starts immediately in a shop, the 2 main characters are obviously shown as them 2 bump into each other wanting to buy the same item. The viewers instantaneously know that the love affair will be with these 2 later on in the film. As the opening sequence comes to an end, a restaurant called 'Serendipity' is shown. This answers the question to the viewers of why the movie is called this - it is obviously related to this shop. Viewers will now want to watch on to find out why the restaurant is crucial.

No comments:

Post a Comment